IVAS (Import VAT Accounting Scheme) is a scheme which provides an easy way for Guernsey traders to account for and pay VAT on goods imported into the UK from Guernsey. The scheme is run by Guernsey Post in conjunction with Guernsey Border Agency and HMRC (UK Customs).
Benefits of the scheme include:
- Pay once a month for all VAT incurred
- All mail is pre-customs cleared in Guernsey and connects directly into the Royal Mail network
Most imports into the UK require VAT to be paid and HMRC can hold items while they investigate. By registering for the IVAS scheme your package will be recorded as having pre-paid VAT meaning you have done everything possible to ensure its smooth delivery.
If you sell via an online marketplace such as Amazon or EBay they will take care of your VAT for you. However, if you sell independently and regularly send to the UK you should join.
The standard rate is 20% however some items attract a different rate. You can find the latest rates and most recent information at gov.uk/guidance/rates-of-vat-on-different-goods-and-services
Email [email protected] and they will send you an application pack or fill in the online form below with your contact details and a member of the Commercial team will get in touch.
Your pack will include:
- An application form - either for a company or sole proprietor/partnership for you to complete.
- IVAS terms and conditions of the scheme. These need to be read and signed. You need only return the final page to us.
- Monthly VAT form. This form will need to be completed and sent to Guernsey Post by the 10th business day of each month to show how much VAT is due to be submitted, together with the payment due.
We will initially provide you with the Guernsey Post IVAS number for you to trade with for the first six months, after which your trading records will be submitted to the Guernsey Border Agency for their records. You will then be issued with your own unique IVAS number.
When you join the scheme, you must display the IVAS number provided on every envelope or package that it is sent. We'll work with you on your label / CN22 to ensure that you are displaying your information correctly.
Our Terms & Conditions have been drawn up in association with HMRC. You will receive these as part of your application pack.
If you are interested in applying and would like to discuss the terms and conditions please contact us on 01481 726241
If you are a business and wish to find out how the IVAS Scheme can help your business with VAT payments on goods imported into the UK please fill in the form below and a member of our Commercial team will get in touch.