Guernsey Post has announced that it will be introducing changes to its postal rates from Thursday 5th January 2023.
- The cost of a Bailiwick Letter will rise by 4p to 56p
- The price of a UK Letter will rise by 8p to 87p
- The price of a Letter to Europe will rise by 11p to £1.21
- The price of a Letter to the Rest of the World by 15p to £1.50
- A small 250g parcel to the UK will rise by 40p to £4.38
- A small 500g parcel to the UK will rise by 45p to £4.93
The company said the price rises have been driven by substantial increases from Royal Mail which amount to £4m over a three-year period, as well as substantial price hikes in transportation charges to and from the islands.
Boley Smillie, Chief Executive of Guernsey Post said, “We have done and will continue to do everything we can to improve our efficiency, but even with these changes the company will move into a short- term loss-making position for the first time in 11 years.
Our trading position has become much more challenging in the context of high inflation, and some unprecedented increases in costs from our suppliers. We have a clear plan and this loss-making position will be short term as we work on ways to improve our efficiency. The most significant change we are making is the investment in parcel sorting automation which will be installed next year.”